With the principles of time lapse photography outlined, it was time to put these into practice.
During the previous class session, Zig went through the Interval Timer shooting settings on each of our cameras. All makes & models have slightly different settings. For my Nikon D5500 it’s quite straightforward.
First, you go to the Menu settings, then Shooting Menu, then Interval Timer Shooting. Next, you programme in the interval time, then select how many shots. I also put the Exposure Smoothing option on. Am assuming this will make the transition between shots less ‘jerky’. This was one tip Zig & others have recommended when setting up for time lapse.
As for subject matter, there has been something bugging me & bubbling under since my Dreams & Reality project last year. I’ve always wanted to animate those images & make ‘transformations’.
This was my first attempt using Photoshop.
Prepped with instructions & a concept in mind, I took the camera to Bushy Park for an experiment the next day. I didn’t take my new tripod with me on this visit. I tried for the life of me to attach my camera, but couldn’t work it out. Probably having a major blonde moment, but I’ll worry about it later.
As I’d been there many times before, I knew I could get some interesting captures of reflections in the Longford River that runs through Bushy Park’s Woodland Gardens. I’ve taken many pictures of this stretch of water & created many beautiful images. These were taken in January 2016. I didn’t use the Interval Timer shooting setting or a tripod. I was just taking consecutive shots. To get an idea of how this would look in time lapse, choose the gallery view & click!
While by the waterside, I set the intervals to one second with 75 shots. That would give me enough for three seconds of footage. So, I just knelt down by the river, focused on a particular spot of water & set the camera off holding it steady. However, my camera was playing otherwise. Not sure what I did, but it only went for about 30ish shots. Hmmmmm…
I then tried another sequence.
Then a third & final one:
When I got home & started to look at the images, I decided to try out a couple of abstractions using the methods I’d concocted during my previous project.
However, before I went ahead with any batch processing or tweaking of the images, I would have to test them out in Adobe Premiere first. I wasn’t sure of what I’d already captured, so returned to the park a few days after. It was quite a windy day & a patch of grass being wafted round caught my eye, so thought it would be a good subject to experiment with.
Again, the camera wasn’t playing ball, but I took these two sequences of shots:
Bushy Grass 1
Bushy Grass 2
Conveniently, each sequence has 25 shots, enough for one second.
When I got home, I tried to reprogramme the Interval Timer shooting, but still no joy. Then, I just reset the Shooting settings. This seemed to resolve the issue, so that was one frustrating obstacle out of the way!
The next stage was to download Adobe Premiere from the Creative Cloud. Again, more frustrations! The programme just wouldn’t run. To get it to do so, I had to first update Creative Cloud then download the programme I needed to use. Harrumph! More time wasted…
To get my mind off my frustrations, I converted one of the grass images. Again, once I’ve tested the original images in Premiere, will be very interesting to see how this looks.
Anyhow, primed & ready to go with some material, my next step will be to try these out using Adobe Premiere. Yep, patience & pig-headedness are essential for this time lapse lark!
Tasks 2, 3, 4 & 5