Photo Arcturus

Just a quick post to say ‘thanks’ for following me & reading my rambling photographic posts. My journey of discovery will be continuing as I’ve now started the Pearson BTEC Level 4 HNC Diploma in Photography.

Hope you will join me in my creative endeavours.



Cruel & Tender: Pt 15

With all the term’s work from both the BTEC Level 3 & NCEF Level 2 courses submitted, it was time to get it on the wall.

The first session involved myself, my classmates & Zig working out where to put all this wonderful work. There was just about enough space to get them up.

This joint effort took most of the day, but the labels still had to be added. This was done a couple of days later. It certainly made a major difference having everyone’s names & work titles next to the photos.

It was also great to see the results of many weeks of hard work, research & discovery finally on display.


Criteria Ref: P1, P2 & P4.

Studio Practice – Task 2: Portrait Pt 11

With the print practically ready to be placed on the wall, time for taking a closer look.

Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to print it onto a higher-grade paper or experimented with other media due to cost. Regardless of that, I still liked the way the final image looks in the matt photographic paper. As for the image itself, here are the thoughts on how it’s turned out.

Here are the two images together. Overall, I think I caught both the essence of the original painting by Adam de Coster of a ‘Man Singing By Candlelight’. I was very pleased with the chiaroscuro effect.

As for capturing the ‘catchlight’ I certainly caught a twinkle of it within Shoresh’s eye. It does add a bit of ‘something’.

With regards to the clothing, I really liked the way the light has picked up on the material of the scarf. The tones are very similar to the original.

Lastly, I was also very pleased with how the accessories are set within the final image. The candle does look like it has been painted.

Right, job done. Another one for the college wall.

Criteria Ref: P1 & P4.

Studio Practice – Task 2: Portrait Pt 9

After showing the print of my portrait to the class & Zig today, it was clear that a little adjustment was needed.

The tone of Shoresh’s face didn’t quite match the rest of the image. It looked fine on screen, but not on the print itself. This was quite easy to remedy in Photoshop by increasing the vibrance slightly of that selected area. I also considered printing it on a fine art paper. This should add to the final ‘look’ of this portrait.

Criteria Ref: P1, P2 & P4.

Studio Practice – Task 2: Portrait Pt 8

The final print I unwrapped from DS Colour Labs today was the portrait. Again, these were printed on matt, the same finish as the still life prints. Was very pleased with the result of this one, too.

One detail I did notice is that the background on the print isn’t completely black. However, when comparing it to the initial image, neither is that background. Again, I will present to the class this week for their opinions & valued feedback.


Criteria Ref: P1, P3 & P4.

Studio Practice – Task 2: Portrait Pt 7

After the feedback with regards to the latest version of the portrait, I knew I had to re edit. Despite some good comments about the one with the obvious ‘oil painting’ filter, it did look to processed for the purpose of this task.

During the today’s class today, I asked Daiva for her opinion & assistance. She suggested taking down the brightness on the books & lifting the light on Shoresh’s face. I’d brought in the file, so Daiva put her expert Photoshop skills into action with the books, just slightly making the light more subtle. I then asked Zig for help with regards to the skin tone of Shoresh’s face, which was quite orange. He showed me how mark off the area using the lasso tool reduce the vibrancy then feather the area. Much better now!

Now to prepare the image for print…

Criteria Ref: P1, P2 & P4.